- Sleep: Fell asleep last night with minimal crying. However, woke up at her normal 11:45 pm wake-up time and didn't go back to sleep until 1:30 am. She nursed once and then laid in bed and whined for almost two hours. Part of the problem is that her back is very itchy where the surgery incision is healing. Woke again 15 minutes later and I brought her into bed with us. She made me scratch her back all night. Very little sleep last night for all of us
- On being "hardcore": We strive to treat Madeleine just like we would treat a healthy child. Obviously there are times when that practice flies out the window, but I refuse to coddle her and have her grow up to believe that she can blame all problems on childhood cancer. It is unfair and it unbelievably sucks that she has to deal with this, but that will not be an excuse for us not to set limits and expectations. She is at an age where she understands a lot of what is said to her, and understands things that she shouldn't do (she censors herself by saying "nonono" while reaching for something she shouldn't, and then stops herself from grabbing it). This is something I've been thinking about lately.
- Today's nap: Just when I though this sleep thing was never going to work, she put herself to sleep. Cried for five minutes, comforted her, cried for about 15 minutes and then put herself to sleep - without me in the room! At least I think she's asleep. This is when it would be nice to have one of those video baby monitors!
- Humphrey: Has an audition today for a print ad! I sent in his picture on a whim yesterday to someone who was looking for a Basset for an ad campaign. He is one of the finalists. Sadly he is horribly behaved so I doubt he'll get the part.
- New blog layout: Unless you are reading via RSS (and really, why aren't you? It's so easy), you'll notice the new design. I like to play with the design and CSS/HTML as often as I like moving around my furniture (a lot). This new design doesn't put pictures where they are supposed to go, so some of the past entries are a little messed up with the text not appearing where it should. Hopefully I'll get this resolved soon.
February 17, 2009
I'm too tired to give you an actual post, so I'll just hit the highlights: