November 11, 2008

Go Chargers

We've completed day two of this week's round of chemo. Madeleine is doing pretty well. We've been more diligent about the nausea meds and that seems to be helping. She did throw up tonight, but she seems to be feeling much better now.

Clinic is a lot of waiting around. Luckily the hospital is very good about having volunteers that come and do different things to entertain the patients. A harp player comes 2-3 times a week and Madeleine really enjoys listening to her. She will often let Madeleine play with the harp strings, and Mad seems to really enjoy that, even though she is so tentative about touching the strings...it's like she knows how much one of those things cost. There are also storytellers and various other people that will come around to make the time go by a little faster. One day a month there are miniature horses in one of the gardens. So far, Madeleine likes to stick her fingers in their noses.

Today we got to meet Darren Sproles of the San Diego Chargers (#43) (click to enlarge image):



We watch the Chargers every Sunday, so it was kind of neat to meet one in person (even though I'll admit that I had to look up his number to figure out who he was). This is him in action:

After googling him I learned that Sprole's mom died of a five-year battle with cancer. I like to think that he visited Children's Hospital today because he is passionate about the cause.

2 comments:

Hope said...

That's great that he's trying to help. I hope she feels better really fast, And I think she's way tougher than any football player!

Danelle said...

Yeah Chargers! I 'm glad they were there to help pass the time yesterday. I hope today goes well! I will see you tomorrow!