July 6, 2009

Holiday Recap

We had the best 4th of July. Nothing spectacular happened, it was just such a nice, relaxing, beautiful day.

It started very early for me, as I had to wake up at 5:30 to get ready for my 10k race that morning. Parking at the race site was difficult, and there weren't shuttles as promised (at least I didn't see any), and I couldn't even park in the designated parking area because it was so full. I ended up parking quite a ways away and walked to the start line. Luckily the race was delayed a few minutes, just long enough for me to check in, get my bib number and find a spot in the crowd. There were over a thousand people running, and it took a few minutes to get past the start line. The first couple miles were all about trying to get around slower runners. The race itself went very well, and I had a good time. The only downside was regretting the huge amount of Thai food that I had eaten the night before. I kept slowing down to make my stomach feel better, and I didn't get to sprint the last downhill half-mile as I was anticipating. Other than that it was a really fun race. Ryan and Mad met me shortly after it was over.

We came home and I made some yummy hazelnut waffles and relaxed for a couple of hours. We then loaded up the stroller and walked a couple of blocks to our neighborhood parade. The parade was funny. They had the typical boy scouts, politicians and local businesses, but they also had Klingons, mermaids, and pirates. It was interesting. Mad's favorite part were the drummers from the local high school band. She is suddenly very interested in drums. We also thought it was funny that people in the parade were pointing and waving at Humphrey. That dog is such a celebrity.

After Mad's nap we headed out to a bbq/swim party for the evening. We had such a fun time swimming, relaxing, and of course eating. Mad got to swim with one of her best friends, and had a blast. We also enjoyed the fabulous view of the fireworks later that evening.

Perfect day!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Sounds like fun!

Bree said...

It does sound like a nice day.

Thanks for the long walk today. I'm only mildly sunburned. Let me know how you like the cupcake. :)

Ericka said...

sounds wonderful. :)

reem said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.