February 24, 2014

Second round

Today is day one of the second round of chemo....that almost makes it sound like she's only had two rounds of chemo, ha!  Today is day one of the second round of the latest chemo.  Recovery from the last round was a bit rough.  There was a lot of vomiting, diarrhea (a major side effect of the new drugs) and a whole lot of not eating.  But then, one day about a week ago she decided she was done with all that and has been feeling really good ever since.  Her appetite is incredible.  She reminds me of a pregnant woman with her many food cravings that come and go.  Her latest kick is quiche.  I've made three quiches in the last few days and Madeleine has eaten 80% of them.  She talked about quiche so much today in clinic that one of the nurses said that she would make her a quiche for tomorrow.  Now, that's an awesome nurse!  

We think that the new chemo is having some effect because of how well Madeleine is feeling.  Once she recovers from this round they will do scans and see what is going on.  With the knowledge that we have now from the most recent scans before chemo started, the surgery that I mentioned last time is not possible.  She has evidence of further metastatic disease, which rules out surgery.  We are hoping that chemo is taking care of that and that surgery can be an option again.


Madeleine gained a wheelchair during our last visit to Jacksonville.  This is something she's probably needed for the last couple of months since we have been carrying her everywhere.  She actually likes her new chair and it's been a huge help to have it at school.  She can get around okay in the classroom, but walking long distances - her school is huge - is exhausting.  She also sometimes has pain in her knees.  Her teacher has been awesome about pushing her around the school.


Claire celebrated her first birthday at the beach!  She didn't think much of the sand, or the water, but she'll get used to it.  It's truly hard to believe that she is one.  The last year has been so awful, and stressful, and just chaotic.  Claire's birth was one little bright spot, and then I just don't know where the rest of the year went.  Claire was three months old when Madeleine relapsed, and she essentially spent her infancy in the hospital.  Her crib in the hospital, until she could sit up, was one of those little red wagons that you pull kids around in.  We put some blankets in there and wheeled it right up next to the parent bed and that is where she slept while Madeleine was in the hospital. 

Laurel is doing great! She is happy at her new school and her gymnastics lessons.  She is full of energy, and full of life.  Here she is riding a horse at a preschool friend's birthday party.

 And that is how you eat an oyster!  Madeleine did not think much of raw oysters, but I'm impressed that she tried it.

1 comment:

Siobhan said...

Hi Amber, So glad to hear Madeleine is feeling good, going to school and eating so much quiche! Also glad to see her Mountain School pride on display, and that you've been enjoying the beach (or not enjoying it, in Claire's case). Best to all of you from us, and happy birthday, Claire!